Last week I had the honor to be a guest on Right To Real Love Podcast with Host Jay Mayo! I enjoyed sharing with the listeners thoughts from my book “Ordinary Women, Extraordinary Purpose” and what it means to TRULY live an extraordinary life!
Here were some key takeaways and lessons:
- Understanding that it will not be easy to live an extraordinary life.
- The benefit of daily affirmations, gratitude journals and blessing jars.
- The importance of speaking out of faith instead of fear.
- Why women must remind themselves that they have value and are royalty.
- The importance of believing and investing in yourself.
- The benefits of having peace, contentment and joy in your life.
You can listen to the four part interview on iTunes, Soundcloud or via Web
Part One: What Does It Mean To Live Extraordinary? http://righttoreallove.com/six-habits-of-extraordinary-women-part1/
Part Two: Ordinary vs. Extraordinary Women http://righttoreallove.com/six-habits-of-extraordinary-women-part2/
Part Three: Six Habits of Extraordinary Women http://righttoreallove.com/six-habits-of-extraordinary-women-part3/
Part Four: Benefits of Living an Extraordinary Life http://righttoreallove.com/six-habits-of-extraordinary-women-part4/
Want your chance to win a FREE copy of my book? Enter the giveaway here
Private Book Release Party for “Ordinary Women, Extraordinary Purpose” by LaToya Nicole
August 30, 2015 A10 Restaurant Hyde Park Chicago, IL
*Click to enlarge and browse photos*
**the following post is an excerpt from a chapter in “Ordinary Women, Extraordinary Purpose: 21 Ways to Walk Boldly Into The Life You Were Created To Live” **
Are you looking for a real makeover as you strive to live an extraordinary life?
The best transformation I found was when I shifted from being simply thankful for my life, health and strength and stepped into a much deeper realm—being grateful. Gratitude made me pay attention to the details, the small things that happened throughout my day that seemed insignificant from the surface. Like the day I was at Panera Bread and witnessed a homeless woman using their public bathroom sink to “wash up,” I was grateful that morning that I was able to take a shower in my own apartment. Gratitude shifted my attitude and brought renewed energy and peace in my life. Striving to live a life filled with gratefulness is a major step in your extraordinary purpose.
Living out your purpose will require you to be consistent and intentional in making gratitude a lifestyle and not just a one-time event on Thanksgiving. (click to tweet this) For me, I decided to keep a gratitude journal. I started journaling at the end of each day and it created an opportunity for me to reflect on my day and put it all into perspective. I was able to recall specific events and occurrences that had happened throughout the day (or that didn’t happen), asses my mood and write out what I was grateful for. Sometimes we focus so much on what we don’t have or what went wrong that we let the really good stuff, the stuff we should be grateful for, slip through our memories. By being intentional about writing these thoughts down and choosing to be grateful, I set out on a journey each day to recapture those moments, to reclaim them, to reflect on them and to call for more to come into my life. Journaling made me realize that being in a constant state of gratitude is where I was able to find joy in even the most difficult times.
Journal Entry from March 2014:
“Today I am grateful for God’s word that lights my path as I journey through life. Not only does he guide me, he has also given me his peace so that I don’t have to worry or fear.”
No event is too big or too small to highlight in your gratitude journal. A review of one day in my journal tells me I was grateful that the barista at Starbucks gave me a grande when I ordered a tall or that I shared a good laugh with a friend. I love using my journal to review—especially when I’m feeling discouraged and overwhelmed with stress. When I was still in the startup phase of my business, I often had many “freak out” moments —realizing I had given up my steady corporate paycheck and job stability, I often turned to my gratitude journal. I read about the week I received three new clients in a span of two weeks, and checked out that time I received an unexpected check in the mail, which covered the amount I went over budget during Christmas shopping.
When you focus on gratitude, you will also notice that you will stop complaining. When you complain and focus on a negative situation, it is very easy to get upset and frustrated. You are constantly rehearsing scenarios in your mind. But when you are in your gratitude zone, it all changes. Instead of complaining about the issue, search for a reason to be grateful about the situation.
Shifting the focus doesn’t change the problem, but it does change you. And after all, that’s the only one you can control.
It’s all about perspective.
As you begin this journey into the extraordinary life you were created to live, these six habits, which are the foundation for this book, will empower you to be more bold and fearless as you start on the path of your transformation.
1. Believe – Having faith and believing in yourself should always be a priority. Believe that you can and you will. Don’t fear what your future holds instead have hopeful expectations. You can do anything you set your mind to. Trust the universe to send you everything you need and allow God to work miracles in your life.
Extraordinary women believe in letting go and letting God work in their life.
2. Have Courage – The presence of fear can paralyze us from taking action. Sometimes you just have to DO IT AFRAID! There will be times in life that call for us to push past the doubts and insecurities that we all battle. Don’t hold yourself back. In times of fear draw on your inner strength and be determined to accomplish your goals.
Extraordinary women know the importance of confronting their fears and fighting until the finish line is reached.
3. Take Risks – Don’t allow yourself to be placed in a “box.” Life will present us with all types of opportunities in our personal and professional lives that will take us on a different route than we originally planned. Stepping outside your comfort zone and being uncomfortable for a season is worth the risk when a greater reward is on the other side.
Extraordinary women are bold enough to take chances and jump off the edge!
4. Speak Positively – Life and death are in the power of the tongue and what you believe you will become. Our inner critic is sometimes our worst enemy. It’s what you are saying about yourself that really matters. Don’t talk yourself out of your destiny. Positive thoughts and words bring forth success.
Extraordinary women affirm and acknowledge the greatness inside of them on a daily basis.
5. Speak Up – Some people shy away from speaking out for fear of being called “aggressive.” It’s one thing to be “pushy” and another to be assertive and upfront. Be bold enough to say no when you need to and express your position and opinions freely.
Extraordinary women are bold enough to ask not only for what they want but also for what they need.
6. Build a solid support system – A solid support system is key to helping you through the peaks & valleys of life. You must identify those “cheerleaders” in your life who consistently encourage you and surround yourself with them.
Extraordinary women know they can’t do it all alone and lean on support of friends and family regularly.
Extraordinary Purpose Prompt
As you begin this journey to walk into the life you were created to live, what transformation are you seeking for your career, personal life, spiritual walk and relationships?